Honors, Awards & Experience
I thank Dr. Daniel N. Miller, Jr., Gary B. Glass, the Wyoming Geological Association, the Wyoming Prospectors Association, the Rocky Mountain Prospectors and Treasure Hunters, the Gold Prospectors Association of America, the Wyoming State Mineral and Gem Society, the Cheyenne Gem and Mineral Society, the Rocky Mountain Federation of Mineralogical Societies, the Natrona County Rock Hounds and the Rex Young Rock Hound club!!! Colorado and Wyoming has many rockhound clubs, mineralogical societies and mining groups and I spent time with many good people from these.
I thank all rock hounds, treasure hunters, and prospectors in the Rocky Mountain Region for giving me so many great years at the Wyoming Geological Survey - it was an honor to work for you and serve you. Although I did receive a salary from the State of Wyoming, it was the people of Wyoming and the Rocky Mountain region I worked for. I loved my work and as a side benefit, many worked to get me various awards for my efforts - I am humbled by these people and thank all of you for your support.
ABOUT W. Dan Hausel (the GemHunter)
Recipient of national & international awards in geology, public speaking, art, mineral discoveries, exploration, education, teaching, martial arts & writing. Inductee: 2001 National Rock Hound & Lapidary Hall of Fame, 2000 Millennium Hall of Fame & others. Member of Who’s Who Compendiums (Who’s Who in the World, Who’s Who in the 21st Century, Who’s Who in Science & Engineering, Who’s Who in America, Who's Who in the West).
Recipient of the 2009 PDAC "Thayer Lindsley Award" in Economic Geology; 2006 "Archimede’s Award in Geological Sciences"; 2004 Wyoming Geological Association "Distinguished Service Award"; 2001 "Education Award"; 2000 "President’s Certifcate"; 1994 Laramie Lyceum "Distinguished Speaker"; 1998 Dept of Geology & Geophysics "Distinguished Lecturer".
I look at things differently. Where others walked & saw nothing, I saw gold, platinum, palladium, opal, diamonds, rubies, sapphires, iolite, peridot, agate, jasper & some of the largest gemstones on earth and some of the largest gold deposits in North America. Spending summers alone in wilderness, I mapped >1000 km2 of complex geologic terrain, historic mines, rare volcanic rocks with diamonds & other gems & wrote about these. I love breaking rocks and people who like breaking things either go to prison or become geologists. I took the latter profession and hope you did too.
Unlike the Nobel Peace Prize (2002, 2007 & 2009) some of the following awards listed below were earned. There are several listed as 'selected' that I was nominated for, but I did not accept because I didn't believe I had earned them - but I very much appreciated the honor of being selected.
- 2018 Inducted into "Great Men and Women of Science", 1st Edition, IBC
- 2017 Nominated for Cambridge Certificate for Outstanding Scientific Achievement.
- 2017 Inducted into the AWAA Who's Who in Martial Arts Hall-of-Fame, Washington, DC.
- 2017 Selected - "Most Influential Scientists of 2017"
- 2016 Selected for Honorary Professor of Science, Cambridge, England.
- 2016 Who's Who in Science and Engineering (12th Edition).
- 2016 Selected for Most Influential Scientists.
- 2015 Inducted in Who's Who in America (70th Platinum Ed).
- 2015 Inducted in Who's Who in the World (32nd Ed).
- 2015 Inducted in Who's Who in Science & Engineering (32nd Ed).
- 2015 Selected as DaVinci Award recipient as a Polymath.
- 2015 Karate School (Arizona Hombu) selected as Best in Mesa Arizona three years in a row.
- 2015 Selected for Honorary Doctorate of Science, IBC, Cambridge, England.
- 2015 Selected for Cambridge Award
- 2015 Selected for Man of Year.
- 2014 Inducted in Who's Who in the World
- 2014 Selected for Decoration of Achievement in Science.
- 2014 Selected for Honorary Doctorate of Letters.
- 2013 Inducted in Who's Who in America (67th Edition)
- 2013 Awarded Meijin Wajutsu, by Juko Kai International
- 2013 Inducted in Who's Who in the World.
- 2012 Inducted in Who's Who in America (66th Edition)
- 2012 Inducted in 30th Pearl Edition of Who's Who in the World (2013)
- 2012 Inducted in Action Martial Arts Magazine's Hall of Honor (Outstanding Contributions to Martial Arts as a Grandmaster).
- 2011 Who's Who in Science & Engineering 2011-2012 (11th edition)
- 2011 Who's Who in America
- 2011 Who's Who in the World
- 2011 Selected for Man of the Year
- 2010 Inducted Who's Who in the World
- 2010 Inducted Who's Who in America
- 2010 Selected for the Einstein Award for Scientific Achievement,
- 2010 Selected ABIs Magna Cum Laude (Cambridge, England).
- 2009 Presented Thayer Lindsley Award (with six of geological colleagues) for a Major International Mineral Discovery (PDAC, Canada) for contributions to discovery of the Donlin Creek (41 million ounce) gold deposit, Alaska.
- 2009 Awarded – Juko Kai International Honor Award (One who points the way)
- 2009 Selected - American Award of Merit for Personal Achievement, Washington DC.
- 2009 Selected- Hall of Fame for Distinguished Accomplishments
- 2009 Inducted - Who's Who In America
- 2009 Inducted - Who's Who in the World
- 2009 Selected - Magna Cum Laude (ABI)
- 2009 Inducted - 100 Top Scientists of the World (IBC)
- 2009 Selected - Gold Medal for the United States
- 2009 Selected - Leading Intellectuals of the World
- 2009 Selected - 21st Century Award of Achievement
- 2009 Inducted - 2000 Outstanding Scientists of the World.
- 2008 Awarded - Top 2000 Scientists of 2007-08
- 2008 Inducted - Who's Who in Science & Engineering
- 2008 Inducted - Who's Who in America
- 2008 Inducted - Who's Who in the World
- 2008 Inducted - USHOFMAA Hall of Honor, Maryland.
- 2008 Selected - IBC Cambridge Blue Book
- 2008 Appointed to the Supreme Elite Warrior’s Council USHOFMAA
- 2008 Appointed Member of the International Examiners Committee, Seishinryoku Kai Karate
- 2008 Appointed International Representative of Arizona/USA for IOSKDKA Karate, Athens, Greece
- 2008 Appointed World Soke (Grandmaster) Council, Seishinryoku Kai Karate
- 2008 Honorary Lifetime member International Okinawa Seishinryoku Karate-Do Kobudo Association.
- 2007 Selected - Leading Educators of the World IBC laureate.
- 2007 Inducted - Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering (10th edition) (Member, 6 of 10 editions)
- 2007 Awarded - 21st Century Achievement Award in Science, Martial Arts & Writing, IBC.
- 2007 Inducted - Marquis Who’s Who in America.
- 2007 Inducted - Marquis Who’s Who in the World.
- 2007 Appointed - United States Soke (Grandmaster) Council.
- 2006 Awarded - Archimedes’s Award (Outstanding Contributions to Geological Sciences).
- 2006 Inducted, Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering.
- 2006 Inducted Marquis Who’s Who in America.
- 2006 Inducted Marquis Who’s Who in the World.
- 2006 Inducted - USHOFMAA International Hall of Honor, Maryland.
- 2005 Inducted, Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering.
- 2005 Inducted - Who's Who in the West
- 2005 Inducted - Who's Who in America
- 2005 Inducted - Who's Who in the World
- 2005 Inducted - World Martial Arts Black Belt Hall of Fame, Malaysia.
- 2005 Awarded - Grandmaster of the Year (WMABBHOF)
- 2004 Presented – Wyoming Geological Association’s Distinguished Service Award. (Only geologist in the history of WGS to receive this award).
- 2004 Inducted - Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering.
- 2004 Inducted - Who's Who in the West
- 2004 Inducted - Who's Who in America
- 2004 Inducted - Who's Who in the World
- 2004 Inducted - World Head of Society (International Council of Masters & Grandmasters) Hall of Fame, Philippines.
- 2004 Awarded - Honorable Grandmaster & Lifetime Member (WHOS).
- 2004 American Karate Association Hall of Fame Inductee, Cincinnati Ohio.
- 2004 American Karate Association, Instructor of the Year.
- 2004 US Martial Arts Hall of Fame Inductee, Nashville, Tennessee.
- 2004 Lifetime member, World Organizer of Martial Arts, Department of Martial Arts Affairs, Delaware.
- 2003 Elected Member - Colorado Mining Association.
- 2003 Honorary Member - Colorado Chapter of International Order of Ragged Ass Miners.
- 2003 Inducted - Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering.
- 2003 Latin America Martial Arts Society Worldwide Hall of Fame Inductee, Puerto Rico.
- 2003 Awarded International Grandmaster of the Year.
- 2003 Inducted in Living Science
- 2002 Inducted - Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering.
- 2002 Inducted - Marquis Who’s Who in America.
- 2002 Inducted - Marquis Who’s Who in the World
- 2002 Universal Martial Arts Hall-of-Fame Inductee Orlando, Florida.
- 2002 Awarded Martial Arts Founder of the Year.
- 2002 World Martial Arts Hall-of-Fame Inductee, Springdale, Ohio.
- 2002 Awarded Grandmaster of the Year.
- 2001 Honorary Lifetime Member - Wyoming State Gem & Mineral Society.
- 2001 Honorary Member - Wyoming Prospectors’ Association.
- 2001 Inducted - National Rock Hound & Lapidary Hall-of-Fame.
- 2001 Presented - Education Award, National Rock Hound & Lapidary Hall-of-Fame.
- 2001 Inducted - Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering.
- 2001 Inducted - Marquis Who’s Who in America.
- 2001 Inducted - Marquis Who’s Who in the World.
- 2001 North American Black Belt Hall-of-Fame inductee Lakewood, California.
- 2001 Awarded International Black Belt Instructor of the Year.
- 2001 Lifetime Member, Okinawa Shorin-Ryu Kokusai Kempo-Karate-Do & Kobudo Federation.
- 2001 Appointed to World Soke Council board.
· 2000 Top Juko-Kai International affiliated ‘Soke of the Year’.
· 2000 World Karate Union Hall-of-Fame Inductee, Tannersville, Pennsylvania.
· 2000 Lifetime Achievement Award (World Karate Union)
- 2000 Inductee - American Biographical Institute’s Millennium Hall-of-Fame for Martial Arts, Art, Geology, Writing and Public Speaking.
- 2000 Lifetime Contributions to Martial Arts Award
· 1999 Headmaster of the JKI Top-Rated Martial Arts School of the Year (University of Wyoming Shorin-Ryu Karate & Kobudo Club).
- 1998 Distinguished Lecturer - University of Wyoming Department of Geology & Geophysics.
- 1998 Best Friend Award - Rocky Mountain Prospectors and Treasure Hunters.
- 1998 Inductee - Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering.
- 1998 Inductee - Marquis Who’s Who in America.
- 1998 Inductee - Marquis Who’s Who in the World.
- 1998 Inductee - Marquis Who's Who in the West.
- 1998 KB Karate Hall-of-Fame Inductee Pocono, Pennsylvania.
- 1998 Awarded Grandmaster Instructor of the Year.
· 1997 Awarded Kyoju (Professor of Martial Arts) certification.
· 1996 Awarded JKI Samurai Award (for obtaining black belt ranks in five different martial arts).
- 1995 Awarded – International Man-of-the-Year
- 1994 Distinguished Speaker - Laramie Lyceum.
- 1994 Awarded – Man-of-the-Year.
- 1993 Nominated - Dibblee Mapping Award (for excellence in geological mapping).
- 1992 Awarded President’s Certificate for Excellence in Public Speaking - American Association of Petroleum Geologists.
- 1992 Awarded - Wyoming Geological Association’s Certificate of Appreciation for Outstanding Endeavors & Contributions.
- 1989 Presented - Geological Survey of Wyoming, Award for Outstanding Service & Contributions.
- 1985 Presented - Geological Survey of Wyoming, Award for Outstanding Service & Contributions.
- 1971 Honor Graduate - U.S. Army School of Artillery, Ft. Sill, Oklahoma (top of class).
Present-2007 Independent Consulting Geologist
2015 Consultant, RC Minerals & Rocks, Atlantic City, Wyoming.
2012 Consultant, Strathmore Resources, Vancouver, BC, gold exploration,
2012 Consultant, Saratoga Gold Mining Company, gold and copper exploration.
2012 Consultant, Wyoming Gold Mining Company.
2012 Consultant, Giant King Gold Mines, Washington, California.
2009 Consultant, Rattlesnake Hills gold project, Endurance Gold Corp., Vancouver.
2008 Consultant, Base & precious metals, Black Range Minerals, Perth, Australia.
2008-2007 Vice President, US Exploration, DiamonEx Ltd, Brisbane, Australia.
2007 US Exploration Manager, DiamonEx Ltd, Brisbane, Australia.
2007-1991 Senior Economic Geologist (Archean Geology, Gold, Gemstones, Base & Strategic Metals), Wyoming Geological Survey.
2006 Consultant, Gold prospects, Teras Gold Company, Alberta, Canada.
2006 Advisory Board, Ice Resources, Alberta, Canada.
2003 Consultant, Diamond Exploration, Western Archon, Reno, Nevada.
1998 Instructor, Diamond Exploration Short Course, Wyoming Geological Association, Casper
1998 Instructor, Diamond Exploration Short Course, American Diamond Co, Vancouver BC.
1995 Instructor, Diamond Exploration, MK Gold, S.L.C., Utah.
1994 Consultant, Diamond Exploration, Echo Bay Exploration, Spokane, Washington.
1994 Instructor, Diamond Exploration, North American Exploration, Kaysville, UT
1994 Instructor, Diamond Exploration Short Course, University of Wyoming, Laramie
1993 Consultant, Diamond Exploration, Bald Mountain Mining Co., Lead, South Dakota.
1994 Instructor, Diamond Exploration Short Course, Wyoming Geological Association, Casper.
1994 Consultant, Diamond Exploration, A & E Resources, Jackson, Wyoming.
1992 Consultant, Gold Exploration, Fowler Resources, Hamilton, Montana.
1991-1981 Deputy Director & Economic Geologist (Metals, Gemstones, Industrial Minerals, Uranium), Wyoming Geological Survey, Laramie
1990 Consultant, Gold Exploration, Chevron Resources, Georgetown, Montana.
1989-88 Consultant, Gold Exploration, Western Gold Exploration & Mining (Anglo American), Anchorage, Alaska.
1988 Instructor, Gold & Gemstones, University of Wyoming.
1984 Consultant, Rock identification, U.S. Bureau of Land Management, Rawlins, Wyoming.
1982 Instructor, Prospecting & Exploration Methods, University of Wyoming.
1981 Instructor, Prospecting Methods, University of Wyoming Adult Education.
1981 Consultant, Feldspar, silica sands & titaniferous magnetite, Twin Buttes Corp., Cheyenne, Wyoming.
1981-1977 Staff Minerals Geologist (Metals, Gemstones, Industrial Minerals, Uranium), Wyoming Geological Survey, Laramie, Wyoming.
1976-1977 Research Geologist, US Geological Survey, Casper, Wyoming.
1975-76 Project Geologist, Uranium, Warnock Consultants, Albuquerque, New Mexico
1974-1975 Teaching Assistant, Mineralogy & Petrology, University of New Mexico Department of Geology, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
1972-1974 Research Assistant, Terrestrial Igneous Petrology and Lunar Petrology and Mineralogy, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
1968-1972 Astronomy Lecturer, Hansen Planetarium, Salt Lake City, Utah.
1968 Geological Assistant, Cobalt & tungsten, Sachem Prospects, Idaho.